On Thursday August 21, 2020 the federal government announced major changes to employment insurance, starting with a 4-week extension to the CERB program. For most laid-off Local 75 members, that means CERB payments will continue until late September!
Once CERB ends, workers will be transitioned onto regular EI – except with some major improvements to EI announced by the government including:
· A minimum regular benefit of $400/week for at least 26 weeks.
· A reduction in the minimum qualifying hours.
· Workers can continue to earn income with reduced benefits.
The government also announced its plans to create three new “Recovery Benefits” which have to pass a vote. Those proposed benefits include:
· 10-day COVID-related sick leave benefit.
· A benefit for Caregivers.
· A benefit for Self-Employed/Gig Worker.
Need help filing for EI? Service Canada recently began reopening their offices to the public. To find the closest one to you, click here.
/wp-content/uploads/local75.png00djanvier/wp-content/uploads/local75.pngdjanvier2020-08-24 16:57:502020-08-25 18:55:26Big News for EI and CERB!