Besides the programs available through the provincial government for financial assistance for food, there are nonprofits and religious organizations who run food banks

The majority of the foodbanks in Canada can be found by searching at


Check 211 for even more options for food assistance. 


Call: 2-1-1 | TTY 1-888-340-1001

Live Text Chat Support available Monday-Friday 7am-9pm by texting 21166

ONTARIO: Call: 2-1-1 Toll-free: 1-877-330-3213 TTY: 1-888-340-1001


Ontario Works helps people who are in financial need with: income support to help with the costs of basic needs, like food, clothing and shelter, and health benefits for clients and their families. In order to apply for Ontario Works, you must have exhausted CERB and regular EI coverage.

More information at:

(apply online or call the local Ontario works office which can be found at


You will need to know

  • first names of all family members
  • dates of birth of all family members
  • immigration status for all family members
  • income for all family members
  • assets for all family members
  • your address
  • your housing costs
  • cost of expenses (such as childcare and disability related work expenses)


A full list of documents that you will need is available at: