All six Canadian banks have introduced mortgage payment deferrals of up to six (6) months and are also offering relief on other credit products (loans, credit cards, etc) for individuals and families facing hardship due to COVID-19. See, for links to the largest banks and their programs.

It is important to note that during the deferral period, interest will continue to accrue. This will increase the total interest paid over the life of the mortgage, and the payments at the end of the deferral will be higher. Seek advice from your trusted financial professional. See Budgeting and Creditors for more resources.

For more information on what mortgage relief programs banks are offering, see:

Planning ahead can avoid the loss of your home.  For home mortgages, discuss your current financial status with your bank or mortgage lender and ask for an alternative payment plan. You should contact your mortgage company as soon as you know you will have difficulty meeting your mortgage payments. The sooner you call, the more options will be available to you.  No matter what your situation is, CALL TODAY.



On March 17, the Ontario government confirmed that it will temporarily cease issuing any new eviction orders due to COVID-19.

If you currently are renting your property, discuss your circumstances with your landlord immediately and negotiate a mutually acceptable written payment plan or discuss other ways to pay off your obligation.

Contact the Landlord and Tenant Board for info about rights as a tenant Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., by telephone at (888) 332-3234.

In most situations, before a landlord can apply to the LTB to evict the tenant, they must first give the tenant a notice of termination that tells the tenant the reason the landlord wants to evict them. For some termination notices, the landlord must wait a specific number of days to see if the tenant corrects the problem before they can file an application with the LTB. The number of days the tenant has to correct the problem is included in the notice.

If the tenant does not correct the problem and/or does not move out, the landlord can file an application with the LTB. In most situations a hearing will be scheduled. At the hearing, the member listens to the landlord and the tenant and then makes a decision.

If an eviction order is issued, it tells the tenant when they must be out of the unit. If they do not move out, then the landlord can file this order with the Court Enforcement Office (also called the Sheriff). Only the Court Enforcement Office can evict a tenant.



 The Toronto Rent Bank

The Toronto Rent Bank Program provides interest-free repayable loans to low-income households facing eviction due to short-term financial difficulties.

For more information, call (416) 924-2543 or see:


Tenants’ organizations

These groups help tenants by giving them information and advice. They can also help you organize a tenants’ association in your building. They are usually run by volunteers who are tenants themselves.

Your community legal clinic might be able to tell you if there is a tenants’ organization in your area. If you live in the Toronto area, you can call the Federation of Metro Tenants’ Associations at 416‑921‑9494. Their website address is

Some of the NGOs given below support Tenants and Landlords in exercising their rights.

Landlord Self Help Centre
Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario
Centre for Equality Rights in Accommodation
Ontario Non-Profit Housing Association
Ontario Human Rights Commission
Human Rights Legal Support Centre
Parkdale Community Legal Services
West Toronto Community Legal Services
Don Valley Community Legal Services